If you are looking to buy a car from one of the New Jersey Used car dealers, you may have some concerns regarding the fuel efficiency of the vehicle you are thinking of buying. Fuel efficiency is a big topic for just about every driver on the road. With gas prices on the rise more and more people are taking steps to get the best gas mileage when they drive. You may have a car that gets great gas mileage but if your driving habits are not efficient you may be wasting more gas than you realize.
Driving Habits That Affect Gas Mileage
- One driving habit that directly affects gas mileage is being hard on the accelerator. Your gas consumption can increase by 5 to 30 percent based on how hard you press on the accelerator. The more you press the gas the more the engine pours into the injectors.
- Speeding is a great way to lower your gas mileage. Any speed above 50 mph will use more gas than your cars fuel efficiency rating.
- Keep heavy items out of your car if you can. The more weight your car has to haul around the more gas it will take to put the weight into motion. So minivans with heavy seats that are not in use could be removed to help save on gas.
- Keep your car from senseless idling to save on gas. If you are going to be parked for any length of time, it may be worth shutting the car off.
- One driving habit that affects gas mileage is using the cruise control. The more motion that you have on your gas pedal the more gas is going to be released into the injectors. The cruise control keeps the pedal in a steady position to minimize the gas consumption.
If you have any more questions about fuel efficiency you will want to ask your NJ Car Dealership for more information. They will be able to give you more tips on how to save on how much gas you use.